Thursday, March 10, 2011

Collective Spinning Project

Ashford Traditional


Every Saturday I spend my time downtown at the Alley Cat Collective. It is, in my humble opinion, the coolest place on earth.:o) 

Julie has really brought together an awesome group of people and I'm thrilled to be a part of it.
River Ridge Alpaca's generous donation allowed us to make these.
 I believe that one of the older girls made this one.

 At 10am we kick off the day with a craft for children. It's usually something that adults can get into too. I know I had a great time wet felting Alpaca nests last Saturday.  

After that, at about 11, I have my spinning wheels available for anyone to try out and see what they like.  This is producing a lot of art yarn, and it hit me that we could use that art yarn in a community project. I have two sizes of Ashford looms available and I think I'm going to warp the larger one this weekend. Then I'll leave a basket with the Alley Cat Collective Art Yarn near it and anyone who comes in can weave a bit. Then we'll sell raffle tickets for the finished piece and see if we can't keep these classes free.

I think that my favorite thing about what I'm trying to do is that it is free, or as inexpensive as I can make it. I know that I cherish the two ladies who let me try out their wheels at my first fiber festival. Without them I might have never bought a spinning wheel.:o)

We're doing nests again this Saturday, so that any who missed out last week can make theirs. I know of one precious little girl who was excited about making them but couldn't be there. She'll still have her chance.

The giveaway ends at 5pm tonight, and I'll announce the winner by 9pm.
I can't wait to see who wins!!!




No comments: