Friday, March 25, 2011

Chickens!


Easter Egg Hunts Everyday!!

Our hens don't use the nesting boxes exclusively.:o) We've found that they like the comfy tall grass. This makes it lots of fun! (Well, until they stink it's lots of fun...lol.)

Adults searching for eggs at the traditional Easter egg hunts are usually frowned upon. Which is sad, because I enjoy it. Now I get to watch the chickens AND I get to hunt eggs!
It's a Win=Win.

Until I miss some.

This is why I'm  picking up some false eggs today to see if I can convince them that the nesting boxes are THE place to lay.

The Chicken Coop

Scott bought me this cute little coop. I love it! Not only is it absolutely adorable, but it's about the size of a dog house. These would work beautifully in a back yard homestead. Right now we have 5 hens and a rooster living in ours and they seem to love it.

I know that there are a lot of folks who are fighting to be able to keep chickens in town. It's one of the things that I've always hated about living inside the city limits. I understand that some people don't like the scratching, I suppose that I can understand if it winds up being stinky, but the thing I can't understand at all is when people complain about the noise. 

Really?! 

But I suppose I don't get a vote since I love the sounds of hens talking and roosters crowing.:o)

The girls early this morning.


I've ordered a batch of chicks that should show up in a couple of weeks. They will be surprise chickens because I chose to go with a rainbow layers variety. I hope a get a few greens and blues.:o) 
But I'll really just be happy to have eggs. 
The color of the outside doesn't affect what's inside.

"Ya know, like with people?" .........Tyler
Tyler pulling up to load branches.
He's a good boy.:o)

 
 

No comments: