Monday, February 7, 2011

Goats and Kids


Kissy and Ronan meet some of our goats.
The dog has to get in on the action too.

Today Kiska and Ronan got to meet the goats who will be joining our Farm next month. They were very excited and had a great time petting the goats and watching the kids antics.

I jumped on the Raw Milk wagon a few years ago. When I did, I was delighted to find a source that was only a few miles away from my house. It was wonderful to know that I was providing the hooligans with such lovely food. 
Then we moved here to Wichita Falls. Because of all the laws that Texas has regulating the sale of Raw Milk the dairies are few and far between. If we want to drink Raw Milk here we have to drive 120 miles to pick it up. Then we have to pay 8 dollars a gallon.

I don't begrudge them the 8 dollars. It's just that the 5 gallons of milk my family can consume a week adds up pretty quick. Especially if you start factoring in gas money and my time. YIKES!
I didn't really worry for too long. It isn't in my nature. I found a solution within a couple of days. 

Dairy Goats.
I'd wanted to produce our own milk, butter, yogurt, and cheese for a long time but was waiting until we moved out to the Farm. Then a lady here was having to sell her goats and I started doing a lot of research.  After a few sample gallons that proved to my family that goat's milk tasted no different than cow's milk I was hooked.

While I was obtaining one of those sample gallons I met an awesome lady in the Wichita Mountains who has a lovely herd of Nubians. She was looking for some help around her place. We were looking for a way to afford goats. We could afford the goats, or we could afford the fencing and buildings. But not both, at least, not this year. 

This turned into a beneficial arrangement where we get to work and be paid in GOATS!

So once a week Tyler and I head to the mountains and clean goat pens, sheds, and yards. Auriana keeps the baby's entertained, and sometimes runs the wheelbarrow for us. It's a pretty sweet arrangement.  One that will pay off for years to come.:o)

Kid and kid.
A Happy Sight.


 

No comments: