Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Beginning Birding


Budding Bird Enthusists at the beginning of the Trail.

We've been studying birds for the past couple of weeks. It's been a lot of fun, and I like how the children notice things that they didn't when we started. (I'm not sure, but I think that was my goal. Which means that I've actually accomplished something this month.)

Things like this.

Tyler saw this nest. The older children pointed out things they noticed about it. 

It is made mostly of twigs.
It is high in the tree.
It is not as neatly made as some we've seen, but not as messy as others.
It has bits of grass woven into the outside.
They wondered if the inside was lined with grass.
They noted that there were bits of man made materials incorporated in the nest.
They could hear no bird songs to help them identify who it belonged to.
They noted that this was most likely because there were 5 people below the nest.

I thought that was pretty good considering I didn't prompt them at all.:o)
The we wandered on.

Some wandered a bit more than others.

All in all it was a good morning. 
We identified quite a few birds and wildflowers. 
We exercised our legs. 
Opened our eyes.
Listened with our ears.

And DISCOVERED.

Our Souls Breathed Deep Breaths.

And I'm pretty sure that's what it's supposed to be about.


 


 

No comments: