Sunday, October 11, 2009

Sick Day Ramblings


Lavender and Rose Simmering Potpourri


This potpourri is probably my favorite and the one I use the most. I always change a little bit but for the most part this is the base. I like to add some orange oil in the summer. Cinammon Sticks and maybe some nutmeg in the winter. Sometimes I'll leave out the roses, or I'll just blend some of my favorite essential oils together and drop them in the pan.

My mother bought one of those Scentsy burners and a few different scents that she thought I would like. They all sound like things I should like, but each one gives me a wicked headache. I love the burner though and I didn't want it to go to waste.

So I made my own waxes to use. I started with a beeswax base and just blended in the oils I like. They work great although I do have to "reboot" the scent every couple of days. Even when the scent of the oil is gone the warm yumminess of beeswax continues to fill the air.

Although I hate it when my children get sick I will say that it inspires me to be more careful of them and their surroundings. I ensure they eat only warming whole foods and drink either herbal teas or pure water. I work to keep things clean and quiet. We limit the electronics even more than usual because I feel that they are stressing to the system. I also spend a lot of time cuddling, sharing as much of me with my children as I can. Smells are an important part of healing. We spritz the air with mist from our bottles that have pure water mixed with Lavender and Rosemary. I move them once a day so that I can spritz their sheets. Often I wash and dry their sheets so they have freshness and gentle light all around them.

A room that has been carefully cleaned with natural cleansers. A bed that has been freshly made with only the scent of homemade lavender rinse gracing the air as the covers are turned back to welcome it's precious inhabitant. I can remember what a crock I used to think bed making was. Now that I know the difference in how a room can feel I'm a bit of a fanatic about it.

I work hard to ensure that every little piece of a healing puzzle I can find is fitted into my children's treatment. When I do this I am always rewarded with fast recoveries and smiling children.

I love that I am such an influence on this small world of mine.

No comments: