Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Rituals


The nightly braid


We've been braiding Auriana's hair almost every night ever since the day she had enough hair to braid. It's a ritual that I enjoy. Smoothing the tangles that a busy day brings, binding her hair to keep it out of her face. We talk about things, some important, some not so much. But it's a time I look forward to.
I found a picture today of her when she was about three years old. She is close to the same size  Kiska is now. She was standing in the hallway on the way to her room wearing nothing but two braids and winnie the pooh slippers. I think it might be one of my favorite photos.

I know that she's growing up. That the day will come when she will braid her own hair at night.
It's hard sometimes to think about that, but I know the time is coming.

I also know that one day I will watch her braid her daughter's hair, and I'll remember this.

And another circle will be complete.



No comments: