Tuesday, October 13, 2009

October Blackboard Art


Our October Board and this weeks verse


I had a really hard time with the chalkboard this month. I have been doing a drawing a week on the board to go with the verse, but I scrapped that this month. When I saw this painting over at Teaching Handwork's site I decided that would work beautifully for the rest of this month.

Both kids still need me to demonstrate the crayon techniques we're learning as we fill their main lesson books with drawings from the stories they're in, so I just work with them. Instead of presenting their drawing on the board I present it on paper and then we do it together step by step. This is working out great because I need the practice too. I get to find out what works and what doesn't so that we don't have to fumble through together.

I think this weeks lessons are going to be held off until next week for Tyler. This means that now our lesson plans will be pushed back into December for him. He just has an awful lot going on right now so we didn't get to the plays we were supposed to read today. He did learn a lot about Ghandi on his own though, and he has been drawing from the Ramayana on his own so I feel like he's still on track. When it comes down to it, I can change whatever I want.:o)

Auriana did a good job with her Ark today. My camera needs new batteries so I have no pictures, but it was an interesting story for her. I sing a song that I first heard from  The Brobdingnagian Bards called the unicorn song that's a funny song about Noah's Ark and the plight of the unicorn. She thought that it was really part of the story. Well, that and the whole thing from Evan Almighty. So she was very interested to hear about how the actual story began. She also asked if the song and movie were adaptations. Which I thought was sweet because that was their word of the day in drama a couple of weeks ago. They are doing an adaptation of The Prince and the Pauper.

We are gearing up to decorate the house for Halloween and then Martinmas. The kids are excited about the activities we have planned for the rest of this month. I am too.

Kiska and her harvest


No comments: