Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Not So Big House


I have spent the last several years looking at alternative building styles and collecting an idea of what my perfect home was.

The problem I have is that I love almost everything I see. :o)  That can make it hard to narrow down a personal style.

I started reading The Not So Big House last night and it spoke to me like many of the other books I've read. What I really like about THIS conversation though is that I feel like I can use the ideas no matter where I live. It's really about making your home YOURS. 
I will admit that the author is talking about new construction, but most of what was talked about was the details. The woodwork, the cabinets, the light fixtures, the flooring. The bits and pieces that add up to character. Those wee little things that make it easier to turn your house into a home. 

And I started thinking about the different places I've lived. What I liked, what I didn't like. And every time I liked something, it was a detail. Everything I hated, was a lack of detail. 
I'm excited by the possibilities that I'm uncovering. I think that it won't be long before I am creating the same type of feeling that I experience at the Farm. 

 

1 comment:

showard said...

I have already seen the house transform into a home filled with love and laughter and the smell of your wonderful cooking and the walls filled with the beautiful crafts that you and the kids make.
Each day at work I wonder what will I find new at home and each day I am rewarded by the work and love you and the kids have put into the project of the day.
You and the kids are the detail that made the house into a Home.